Faith vs. Pleasure (In Search Of Truth, Hebrews 11:13-16)



The author of Hebrews has spent most of this chapter so far giving us examples of faith in action. Abel trusted his well-being to God so much that he give him his best profits. Enoch trusted that God would set everything right one day (Jude 1:14-15) and in the meantime chose to walk through day-to-day life with Yahweh as his trusted companion. And his faith pleased God so much that God spared him from physical death! Despite being surrounded by people who lived radically different from him and indulged in every sin they desired, Noah trusted that living life God's way was best and trusted him when he said the unthinkable would happen. Abraham trusted God enough to leave behind his comfortable life and societal connections, and follow God to a completely unknown place where he would spend the rest of his life.

v.13

All of these people had at least one thing in common. They all died trusting in God, despite not yet receiving "the things promised".

This might seem confusing at a glance. Abraham didn't inherit the land promised to him, so that makes sense. But what were Abel, Enoch and Noah promised that they didn't receive? Whatever the promises were, these men "[saw] them and greeted them from afar", and along with that "acknowledged that they were strangers and exiles on the earth".

v.14-15

Verse 14 clarifies that these men were all "seeking a homeland" and refused to return to "the land from which they had gone out". But the promised land was not "promised" until Abraham came along. Abel didn't go anywhere. Noah didn't leave his land except as a side effect of surviving the flood. So what does this mean?

Verse 16 clarifies that they were looking for a "heavenly" country to settle in and call their home. The Greek word for "heavenly" or "heaven" didn't just mean "a wonderful, perfect place". It refers to the dwelling place of God.

The common tie between all these men was their trust that life lived with God is the greatest thing to both pursue now and place their hope in for the future. And it was a HUGE amount of trust! Despite their sin and failures, these men had a trust in God that pleased him so much that he began identifying himself with them.

(Exodus 3:6, ESV) And he said, “I am the God of your father, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.” And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look at God.


SO WHAT'S IN THIS FOR GEEKS?

Usually when I think about trusting God my mind gravitates toward big, time sensitive decisions involving risk, or being stuck in a bad situation I don't see a way out of. But these men all exercised faith in God before they were in trouble. They weren't counting on comfort or pleasure to bring them fulfillment, they were counting on God for that, even if fulfillment didn't come in their lifetime.

Sometimes I feel like I "need" to buy the next cool release coming up that I don't responsibily have money for, or I "need" to devote time to some kind of personal  hobby or endeavor even if that means neglecting my family a little bit. Every week before heading out to help lead the College Ministry at our church I ask myself if I have a legitimate excuse to not go, so I can avoid what is always a draining (though still largely enjoyable) experience. (It's pretty rare when I can find that excuse.)
Maybe you feel like you "need" to play pirated games or watch pirated movies, because not doing so will mean your entertainment life vanishes.

As shallow and infantile as it feels to admit, I sometimes fear I will have a depressing life if I don't fulfill these things I call "needs". But when I fear the idea of missing out on pleasure, I'm actually saying "I don't trust that God's way is the best way."

I want to be clear. The Bible does not teach that pleasure is bad or a waste of time. We are to enjoy leisure time and possessions if we're able (Ecclesiastes 5:18-20) and recognize God as the source of everything good we experience (James 1:17). But pleasure is a lower calling than loving and serving God and those around us (Mark 12:28-31), and so we should set aside pleasure when a better opportunity presents itself.

Just last weekend my wife lovingly confronted me about a pattern of neglect she has seen when it comes to the time I give my family. It seems like once about every 6-9 months she has to come and bring this issue to my attention. I think each time she does, my first thought is that "she doesn't understand what I need". And it's true there are some things about me she doesn't understand or relate to and some compromise between us that has to happen. But she's still right about my tendency to neglect her and our boys.

So I talk to God and "change my mind" (repent) about what I've been doing and then make some changes in my routine to put my trust in God into action. And guess what? I'm not depressed! My life did not turn into a dreary grind! I still have lots of geeky fun! And on top of that I feel the satisfaction and different flavor of pleasure that comes with spending more time talking to my wife and more time playing with my boys.

Yes, sometimes the investment is a drag and does cost what feels like a lot. But it's rarely what I fear it will be, and almost always comes with pleasure or fulfillment I didn't expect.

What pleasure do you think God may be calling you to let go of or do less of in favor of something else he has for you? Why not go to the forums at christiangeekcentral.com and ask for some prayer as you face that crossroad?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CGC Game Save '23 Team Fundraising Page

Starfield & The Changeling (CGC Podcast #774)