What I'm Digging Now - TURN

There are a lot of things going on in my life right now that I need some fun distractions.  One of those distractions is a new AMC series, TURN.

While not a SF/Fantasy show, I still will hold it up as a genre show. TURN is the story of America's first spy ring. This fact along puts it in the same camp as the Bourne and Daniel Craig 007 films.

I first learned about the Culper Spy Ring (as it is commonly known) by way of the short-lived (two seasons worth) Brad Meltzer's DECODED. This series, hosted by author Brad Meltzer (who also wrote for Green Arrow and Justice League of America - how's that for connecting it back to the topic?) looked into various urban legends, conspiracy theories and other fodder for thrillers. In one episode, his team investigated the historical record regarding the Culper Spy Ring, which would have made it the first in our nation's history.

TURN is extremely well done. They get many historical details right, including how the British exploited their rule in the colonies, and how many of the colonists chafed under this exploitation. I first heard about this series on The Storymen Podcast, and one of the hosts (Clay Morgan, I believe) commented that as a college history professor, he has been looking at ways to incorporate episodes of TURN in his lesson plans, because they so perfectly illustrate the conditions at the time of the American Revolution.

There are times when the "colonial-era New England" accents are a little difficult to follow, but overall, the series moves very briskly, and the plots are sufficiently convoluted without being too much so.  It says something about the writing and the performances that every time one particular British captain opens his mouth, I wish someone would put a bullet in his head. I'm not by nature a violent person, but the actor playing this role does so with gusto and really elicits this reaction out of me.

If you want a good story to follow that is at least somewhat based on actual live history, I say check out TURN. You won't regret it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CGC Game Save '23 Team Fundraising Page

Starfield & The Changeling (CGC Podcast #774)