Star Trek Online (Video game Review)



Review by Drew Rub

I have to start off by admitting that I’m not a big fan of MMOs (I got turned off to large open universes when Second Life came out). I’m also a much bigger Star Wars fan than I am a Star Trek fan. It would seem logical that I’d download and play Star Wars Online before playing Star Trek online. But I’m not an elitist, and thoroughly enjoy both universes. So when Paeter asked for someone to review STO’s free version for The Summer Of Free, I figured this would be a good chance for me to get into the ST universe and see how it was.

I initially thought I wouldn’t like the game, probably my MMO bias coming into play. I also worried I wouldn’t have a powerful enough computer to enjoy it; more on that in a minute. But I downloaded the installation files and loaded it up. Surprisingly, my system meets the requirements of STOs needs. Minimum recommendations are 1 G of RAM, a 1.8Ghz processor (Intel Core 2 Duo) and a good graphics card like the Nvidia GeForce or ATI Radeon. 2G RAM or better and beefier video cards are recommended if you want the game to look GOOD.

After creating my account and logging in, I was given the character creation section. You can spend hours here, customizing your look, uniform, race, and initial technical skills. If I were doing a more actual “first five” review, I could have spent my first five just making my character with all those possible options!

But I opted for minor customizations, a quick pick on my characters skills set; which comes down to a choice of Engineering, Tactical, and Science. I opted for Tactical, because I just like the combat aspect. Each race and each skill background comes with perks to both your Space skills (shields and tactics) and your Ground Skills (stealthiness or hand to hand combat)

You’ll spend the first part of the game running through the tutorial missions. You can think of these like holodeck simulations (although your character isn’t in a holodeck). You can’t be hurt, and it’s a scenario that pits you against a Borg invasion of Khitomer. Endless waves of drones will get you used to combat, with orders to go to this location to help you learn to move around and then speak to this person to help you learn how to interact with the NPCs. You’ll eventually leave the base/space station and beam over to a ship, where you’ll learn how to navigate your ship in space, and learn the basics of space combat.

Frankly, I like the space combat better than I do the land combat. It may be my system, but I found there to be lag points during ground combat that I didn’t experience in the space battles. Working your way through the tutorials is pretty easy, and easy to recognize as the tutorial levels. There are lots of other player characters around the halls and areas as well. Which is one thing I do like about this MMO; I read in a discussion board somewhere that once a game goes FtP, it’s usually the death knell of the game. However, STO seems to have a large and vibrant population. I don’t think it’ll go away and die a quiet death anytime soon.

Once you finish the tutorials, you warp back to Earth Spacestation, dock there, and are presented with your own command, and your first real mission. You’ll get the opportunity to modify your ship, clothes, bridge crew, etc. It’s also the place that introduces you to all the various things you can do between missions (visit the market place, outfit your ship, etc). As you progress in rank and grade (each rank has 10 grades), you’ll gain access to more resources (bigger, badder ships, each with their own sets of customizable options and strengths/weaknesses). You can also join or start your own “fleet, but I haven’t taken that option just yet. It gives you the option of sharing and completing missions with other online players, sharing the rewards on completion (I guess.)

I launched my first real mission, and was pleasantly satisfied with the “danger” level during the space combat. My space tactics aren’t bad, and the Orion pirates I went up against weren’t too shabby of a fight. After taking on 6 Klingon Birds of Prey in my 2nd mission, I’ll be looking forward to upgrading my phasers and photon torpedoes for my next encounter.

Speaking of, I have to say, I am looking forward to my next game play time, although I had originally thought I’d just play this for the quick review. My 2nd mission is still in progress, but I’m now hooked on the story arc I have been presented. It involved species 8427, aka the Undine. I don’t have a lot of time to dedicate to playing MMOs, (or video games in general for that matter), but I did find the STO universe to be enjoyable, easy to play, and I look forward to a return visit.

If you’re a fan of Star Trek, this is a good way to get into the universe and become a part of it. As a free entertainment option, there’s plenty to do I think, so I’d say go for it. And if you do opt to enter, look up Lt. Malcolm Hayden, commanding the U.S.S. Xavier. Can’t guarantee how often I’ll be there, but perhaps we can create the SBU or CGC Fleet. Until then, Peace and Long Life, and May the Force be With You.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CGC Game Save '23 Team Fundraising Page

Starfield & The Changeling (CGC Podcast #774)